Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Potassium - Why Do We Need It?


Within the last month of so, my life has dramatically changed. I always considered myself a very healthy person; the kind that doctors would never get rich on. Then suddenly my life changed, this picture of vibrant health, I thought and felt I was, vanished from my eyes.

Two unexpected visits to the hospital within a month's time made me very aware that I had some work to do, if I was going to live long enough to drive my children mad.

I, the great vitamin taker, was deficient in certain vitamins and minerals. This deficiency lead to some reactions that resembled heart problems and actually were heart related. In previous articles I have written about vitamin B 12 and the Omega-3 Fatty Acids, which were lacking in my system, well now we are going to touch upon the value of potassium and why it is so important. It was the lack of these three that caused my problems and so my goal is to keep you from being, as scared as I was.

What is potassium? Potassium is a dietary mineral that is involved in both electrical and cellular functions. Even though it is called a mineral it is classified as the primary electrolyte found in intracellular fluid in the body.

Why do we need it? Potassium plays an important factor in the regulation of acid-base levels and blood pressure. It is important in the transmission of nerve impulses, the building muscle tissue and for the beating of your heart. It is also necessary for the metabolism of carbohydrates and proteins.

It is a component necessary for balancing the PH factor in our bodies, for maintaining normal water balance and for keeping our nervous system and brain function healthy.

How much do we need each day? According to the National Academy of Sciences the recommended amount for adult men/women and pregnant women is approximately 2,000 milligrams, while children need approximately 1,600 milligrams per day and infants between 500 -700 milligrams per day.

Where can I get the potassium I need? The food you eat is a great source of potassium. Fish such as salmon, cod, flounder and sardines are a good source. Vegetables such as broccoli, peas, lima beans, tomatoes, potatoes, leafy green vegetables such as spinach, lettuce and parsley contain potassium. Fruits such as bananas, apples and apricots (dried contains the most) are also good food sources.

What if I do not get enough potassium? Believe it or not in our country, it is uncommon to have a deficiency of potassium. However, certain drugs (caused my problem) along with other factors can create a loss. Vomiting and diarrhea are the most common causes.

The deficiency may cause hypertension, decreased heart rate, depression and fatigue,

Most of the potassium is found in the cells of your body, only about two percent is found in your blood. Your body is able to keep the potassium levels in your blood fairly level.

Can I have too much potassium in my system? It is possible if you have an underlying medical condition such as kidney disease or diabetes. High levels of potassium require monitoring by your doctor, as very high levels can be damaging to your heart.

Should I take potassium supplements? It is usually not necessary for anyone to take a potassium supplement, as our food supplies us with the proper amounts. Certain medical problems will require that you take a supplement (I do now) and many athletes find it necessary, as they burn it up.

It is suggested if you think you need a supplement, have your doctor do a blood test and then follow his/her instructions. Food is your best source of potassium, so do not self medicate, this is one time your doctor just might know best.

No comments:

Post a Comment