Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Crohn's Disease - Staying in Remission As Long As You Can


I have been diagnosed with crohn's 6 years ago, struggling with everyday symptoms for 3 long years. I was not able to work properly, luckily my job could be carried out from the comfort of my home (I am an accountant).

Doctors kept telling me the disease runs its own course and nothing I will do will affect it in any way, but they were more than wrong. As I started experimenting with changing my diet and exercising, within a time of few months I went from a sad man with daily intestinal cramps and bloody diarrhea to a full functioning pain free 28 year old male.

What you do, your daily life really matters to how your crohn's disease will behave. Sometimes it is impossible to prevent a flare up, but at least you can decrease its severity and duration. Not only physical factors such as food can make your condition worse but also psychological. Stress is a great enemy as it can exacerbate your symptoms.

Therefore the first thing on the list would be to try to avoid stress. This can be difficult to achieve, but try to experiment with relaxation techniques such as meditation.

Another important thing is to avoid tobacco as it narrows blood vessels and influences intestinal motion. Although tobacco may reduce your stress levels, in the long run it does the opposite. Alcohol is another forbidden fruit as it irritates the intestines.

Avoiding everything harmful is not enough, you need to start absorbing everything healthy too. Various supplements and healthy foods can greatly improve your condition. Exercising won't harm you either as it helps to promote a good mood and keep a good overall health.

There are many more greater tips and techniques you may want to try, have a look at my resources for instance. I am currently in remission and haven't had a flare up in 2 years mainly thanks to how I altered my everyday life to cope with the disease.

Remember, the disease does not have to own you, but exactly the opposite. Once you gain control over it you will start to doubt even having it.

No comments:

Post a Comment