Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Why Am I Always Hungry and Tired? Here Are Four Common Causes You Should Look Into


Hunger and tiredness are two symptoms that often coexist. This was the case for me when I was always tired: I was very hungry even if I had eaten just one or two hours earlier, and I always had to eat right before I went to bed at night in order to fall asleep.

Are you asking yourself why am I always tired? Or why am I always hungry and tired? Let us consider what the reason may be for your problem and what you can do about it.

IS IT THE KIND OF FOOD YOU EAT?

Meals with a high content of processed flours and sugars will cause your blood sugar to rise quickly. Your body will then release insulin into your blood stream and cause sugar to be absorbed into your cells and used for energy. But if the rise in blood sugar is too fast, a lot of insulin will be released and your blood sugar levels will quickly fall below normal. Your body may interpret this as lack of available energy and cause you to be hungry even if you ate not long ago.

To find out if this is your problem: Add protein and fat to your meals that takes a longer time to convert into blood sugar, and reduce the amount of simple carbohydrates. This will give your body a more stable energy supply.

ARE YOU PHYSICALLY STRAINING YOUR BODY?

For a long time I was not able to find the reason for my excessive hunger. But when I stopped working out for a period it disappeared. This let me know that my energy consumption had been higher than its energy supply. When I stopped working out, the amount of energy my body needed was lower and my excessive hunger disappeared.

Normally, this problem can be solved by eating more, and by eating the right foods to support your restitution between workouts. But there may also be a medical condition causing your energy supply to be low even if you eat a lot.

To test if over-consumption or under-supply of energy is your problem, take 10-14 days off from your workouts and see if the hunger disappears.

YOU MAY NEED TO CHECK YOUR METABOLISM

The thyroid gland regulates your metabolism (and energy consumption). And your levels of thyroid hormones will rise naturally (and so will the energy consumption) if you work out or do any other strenuous activities.

But your thyroid hormone levels may be higher than normal, even if you do not need the extra energy. This is called hyperthyroidism and can be checked by your doctor and regulated using medicine.

HOW IS YOUR DIGESTION?

Even if you eat a lot you may not be getting enough energy. This happens when your digestion system is not able to absorb the energy and nutrition it needs from the food you eat. If so, you will likely also be experiencing other symptoms related to your indigestion: stomach pains, constipation or diarrhea, excessive gas and stomach bloating.

The possible causes are many: Food allergy or intolerance, fungal infections such as candida or parasites such as worms.

WHERE SHOULD YOU START?

First you should go see a doctor to find out if there is a medical condition causing your excessive hunger and tiredness. Start by asking an open question like why am I always tired? Make sure your doctor tests your thyroid hormone levels to see if they are too high. And ask him or her specifically about testing for parasites and allergies.

No comments:

Post a Comment