Saturday, August 10, 2013

Cooking for Sick Pets


Nothing is more frustrating than a pet with diarrhea or constant vomiting - I know, I have experienced these messy problems for one long month. I adopted two kittens from a large chain pet store. No more than 15 minutes into our journey home, adorable little Lulu had diarrhea. I thought it was related to the car ride, but after a few days of scooping wet, runny poop from both kittens I knew this was a health issue.

I took the kittens to the vet, and even though they may have been given shots, my vet suggested they were too young and not properly immunized. I told him about their diarrhea - they had very healthy appetites and were drinking water. My vet gave them their shots, prescribed medication and home we went.

The medication was difficult to give and it didn't seem to help. I put canned pumpkin in their food. It didn't really help. I added psyllium. It didn't help. I went online and began some research. And I found Vitality Sciences - a company founded in 1991 to help people with GI problems.

I read their research, I read their testimonials then I called and ordered the feline diarrhea vomiting combo. Because I didn't have a specific cause of the problem, I needed to try a few product combinations. Within the week Pearl had normal stools. Lulu, the other kitten, took a bit longer to treat but is now diarrhea free. So for treatment resistant diarrhea or vomiting, these six products can be combined to fight the infection, cure the disease and get your pet back into health.

So what did I do for their food? I cooked for them, of course! I found that they like the Shelton brand of frozen minced turkey the best. I add enough distilled water (buy it at the grocery - especially if your pet may have Giardia) to completely cover the thawed turkey. I cook the turkey until the juices run clear. This is the experimental part and it works for most dogs and cats.

For diarrhea, I started with 1 Tablespoon of canned organic pumpkin to one cup of cooked turkey. For dogs, you may want to add 1/2 cup cooked long grain rice. I fed 1 tablespoon of this food to my kittens and about 2 tablespoons to my adult male cat three times a day. (My adult male loves plain turkey and hated the pumpkin after a while.) I fed a small amount of dry food and clean, distilled water is out all day. Once the turkey is thawed (properly, please, no need to give food poisoning on top of other GI problems) the cooking time is about 10-12 minutes. The cooling time is another 10-20 minutes and then I promptly refrigerate any unused portion. I then took some of the cooked turkey and mixed in the Comfort product - either canine or feline, depending upon species - and this added a different kind of fiber. I alternated this mix with the pumpkin for the kittens - it worked great for Pearl.

I, along with my vet, thought Lulu had Giardia. I found that giving the herbal supplement and then the skullcap supplement stopped the diarrhea within two days, along with the food choices from above.

The comfort products also work exceptionally well for vomiting. I suggest that if your kitty has hairballs, add a little pumpkin to their food. If you use the ground turkey, be sure to have a mix of white and dark meat, there's a bit more fat to help hairballs.

I have also heard great results with this diet for animals on chemotherapy and radiation. Again, use distilled water to help clear toxins.

If you cook once week, like me, take 20-30 minutes out of your day and cook for your pet. I put enough food for four days in a plastic container. I freeze the remainder of the cooked turkey (I add the other ingredients once it is unfrozen) in small containers and take them out as I need them.

Cooking for your pet really is easy and it makes treating difficult problems so much easier!

No comments:

Post a Comment